A few weeks ago, I hosted a Cajun Friendsgiving for some of my favorite Dallas peeps. You can’t have #Friendsgiving without a turkey, so last week I shared a recipe for the best turkey ever. This week, I’m sharing my recipe for Dirty Turkey Rice made with Honeysuckle White Mild Italian Turkey Sausage. My favorite thing about this dish? You can make it in an Instant Pot in under 30 minutes!
I don’t know about you, but I’m obsessed with making dishes in my Instant Pot. Essentially, when all you have to do is throw the ingredients in and leave them to cook! This recipe takes a few extra steps, but you only need your Instant Pot and a spoon to complete it.
You may be wondering, “Why did you decide to use turkey instead of beef or pork for this recipe?” Well truth be told, while I love a good traditional dirty rice, I’m trying to get my health in order. I’ve been working with a nutritionist who has me eating leaner meats that are easier for my body to digest. Turkey is one of my favorites because it has tons of protein without a gamey taste. I choose Honeysuckle White for my turkey dishes because they’re a brand I can trust. Honeysuckle White uses family farms that raise their turkeys with care.
Another reason I’m encouraging everyone to choose Honeysuckle White for their holiday parties is because they’re making it easy to give back to No Kid Hungry! This year, @honeysucklewhite and @shadybrookfarms have teamed up with @nokidhungry and are making it easy for anyone to host a fun Friendsgiving get-together. Visit https://www.honeysucklewhite.com/friendsgiving/ for recipes, tips and information on how we’re working to end childhood hunger. #goodfeedsgood
I adapted this recipe from one I found on My Forking Life and it is so delicious! While they made theirs like a true dirty rice, I’m totally grossed out by liver so I skipped that bit. Also, I made mine with all turkey products so it would be a bit healthier.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp worcestershire
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 cups of rice, I prefer white, if you use brown add a bit more broth and cook longer
- 1 ½ cup turkey broth, chicken broth will work as well
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- Saute Honeysuckle White Mild Italian Turkey Sausage until cooked thoroughly.
- Add vegetables, dry seasonings, and sauces to the meat. Stir until the onions are translucent.
- Add rice, broth and water. Stir it all up then put the bay leaf on top.
- If using an instant pot, cover it with the lid and seal, then push the Rice button. If you’re not using an instant pot, bring to a boil then cover with a lid. Reduce to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- When rice is tender, the dish is done! Discard the bay leaf, spoon rice into serving dish and VOILA!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 1107mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
This dish is great for holiday dinners, but it’s also a quick and delicious meal prep idea! It has so much flavor and would be perfect with a side of turkey or some veggies. I hope you love it as much as I did!