This is a sponsored post by Good Moo’d. All recipes, reviews and opinions expressed in this post are based on my personal view.
When I was growing up, my mom’s favorite ice cream was Butter Pecan. She legit would let us eat any ice cream in the freezer except for that one. Of course that only made us want it more. So of course we’d sneak it in the middle of the night. Or give her puppy eyes until she gave in. Fast forward 20 years or so and Butter Pecan is now my favorite ice cream that I don’t want to share. But it hit me the other day that I could make it better…with bourbon.
If you’ve been around for a while, you probably know that I’m lactose intolerant. The ONLY things I’ve made exceptions for are ice cream and cheese. But no more! I just learned about a new brand, Good Moo’d, that makes ultra-filtered lactose free milk! That means I can make my own, lactose-free ice cream without having to worry about an upset tummy! Bring on the Lactose-Free Bourbon Ice Cream please!
- 1c Good Moo'd Lactose-Free Whole Milk
- 3/4c homemade lactose-free heavy cream (instructions in notes)
- 1/2c dark brown sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Bring lactose-free milk, "heavy cream" and brown sugar to boil over medium-high heat.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and salt in a bowl until the sugar desolves.
- Make an ice bath in a large bowl, then set a medium sized metal bowl in it to cool things down. While whisking the egg mixture, slowly add the hot cream mixture. Return it to the pan then stir over low heat for about 2 minutes until it thickens up. Quickly put the mixture into the metal bowl over the ice bath and let it cool completely. Stir it often.
- Mix the bourbon and vanilla into the custard. Then put it all into your ice cream maker. VOILA
How to make homemade lactose-free heavy cream:
Whisk together 2/3c Good Moo'd Lactose-Free Whole Milk and 1/3c melted butter. It'll probably take about 5-10 minutes if you use a handhelf mixer.